Official Topic 2017:
Qualifications for Contestants
1. Participants must write on the official topic.
2. Each entry must begin with a cover letter with a detailed explanation of biography, what the scholarship will be used for if awarded and the institution or organization the funds will be paid to. Separately, also requires is a title page containing: the official topic, number of words, writer's name, address, phone number.
3. At the top of page one should be the official topic and the number of words. (There will be a penalty of 2 points for lack of topic and 5 points for not listing the total number of words correctly).
4. Essays must be typed and double-spaced, using APA style formatting. If not there will be a deduction of 5 points.
5. Essays must contain at least 700 words and no more than 800 words. Every word in essay is counted. Not included in word count is the title, bibliography, or footnotes. Hyphenated words are counted as one word. There will be a deduction of 5 points for each 25 words over or under the limit.
6. Each page of the essay must be numbered starting with page 1 of the essay, not the title page. The numbers must be exhibited bottom center of each page.
7. All quotations or copyrighted material used must be identified properly. (Using the APA style formatting) Failure to do so will result in disqualification.
8. No references can be made in the essay that identifies the student or sponsors of the essay contest. Deduction of 5 points based on degree of identification.
9. The essay must be written in English.
10. The entry must be stapled together in the upper left-hand corner. 3-ring Binders or other binary covers of any type are not accepted.
1. Judging will be completed by a panel of three qualified judges. With one or more alternate judges.
2. If any of the judges recognize an applicant and or the essay, they will be asked to recuse themselves and an alternate judge will evaluate the essay.
3. Judges will not discuss or compare essays being judged.
4. Only judges can assign a penalty.
1. Organization of Material – logical interpretation and knowledge of the subject and adherence to topic: 50 points
2. Vocabulary and writing style – phrasing and continuity: 20 points
3. Grammar, Punctuation and Spelling: 20 points
4. Neatness: 5 points
5. Contest Rules Adherence – prepared in proper format: 5 points
1. Failure to list official topic: 2 points
2. Failure to identify accurately total number of words: 5 points
3. Failure to type and double- space essay: 5 points
4. Failure to stay within the 700-800 word limit: 5 points for each 25 words or fraction based on degree.
5. Self-identification: 5 points of fraction of based on degree of identification.
1. First Place $1000
2. Second Place $500
3. Third Place $250
Distribution of Funds
1. All scholarships will be payable to the organization of the recipient's choice, subject to the approval of the Susquehanna Chapter of NYS Women's Inc.
2. The Susquehanna Chapter of NYS Women's Inc. will administer all scholarships.
3. Winners MUST attend the dedication to receive funds. Scholarships will be awarded Wednesday March 22, 2017 at the Women Ties luncheon at Pheasant Hill country club, Owego NY.
Application for 2017
NYS Women Inc. Susquehanna Chapter
Apply by mail:
NYS Womens Inc Susquehanna Chapter
C/O Scholarship Application
PO Box 444
Owego, NY 13827
Historical Tioga County, NY Woman: "Her" story in History.
Please write your essay on a Historical Women from Tioga county who has inspired you and or your community.
© New York State Women, Inc. Susquehanna Chapter. All rights reserved.